{#VantagePoint} my photography story: finding beautiful here

About a year ago I fell into a major photography rut.

I dreamed of traveling so badly and as a result spent a good amount of time on pinterest looking at dreamy destinations and watching amazing videos from people who had been all over this beautiful world.

And sometime in the process I had fallen into the mentality that I couldn't really get amazing pictures unless I traveled. And I didn't travel that much. Whenever we went on weekend trips I seemed to get some pretty cool pics- but then we would get home again and I’d feel uninspired and disadvantaged because "i couldn't ever reach my photography goals unless i traveled"

At one point during this rut, I started working on a project to cover part of the wall in my room with pictures. As a photographer, I have a ton of pictures, so the process of picking my favorites, printing them out, and hanging them up took awhile. But one summer day, after a few hours of sifting and hanging, I stepped back and looked at the wall. And I realized I have a pretty great life. It’s filled with goodness and happiness and memories that make me smile.

And all of the sudden my mindset as a professional photographer and someone who just wants to create totally shifted.

I can take beautiful photographs where I am right now.

I don't have to be on a once in a lifetime journey across the world, it doesn't have to be someone’s wedding, a huge party, or the most beautiful location I’ve ever seen

Beauty can be found anywhere you look for it. 

The pictures taken at places right around my house are my favorite places to look back on. So many of my best memories are here.

From shoots with my sisters:








To the craft camp me and a friend put on to raise money for an HEFY expedition:


To just taking pictures of flowers and sunsets when I couldn't get models:

And eventually starting to take pictures for other people to get more practice:


Every now and then, driving a few minutes down the road:




This is where I really learned that you can get great pictures just by walking a few steps outside your back door!  

This is where I first picked up my mom’s camera- a canon powershot-and fell in love with photography. Awhile later it became my camera, and even though I couldn't change lenses and most of the setting were preset, I thought it was the best thing ever. 

After carrying that camera everywhere, annoying my family to death with all the pictures I took, and using up a lot of memory cards; this is where I finally got my first “real” camera and lenses. 

This is where my love for photography grew. 

This is where I discovered my passion.


** I was inspired to write this post by Light’s #VantagePoint project. Light is a compact camera with new technology. It isn't sponsored - just me sharing my story.

1 comment :

  1. That's some pretty sweet photography!

    Can't wait to see the L16 finally hit production this summer! Wish they'd let me in on Beta to play with it before hand...

    For anyone interested in learning more about the Light L16, I think these are some of the best videos / interviews I've unearthed to date:

    https://lightrumors.co/video/gathering-light/
    https://lightrumors.co/video/light-l16-camera-live-at-light-co-headquarters/
    http://maceditionradio.com/sites/default/files/MER_CES_Light%20Camera_Interview_1_16.mp3
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2015/04/27/light-interview-no-more-full-frame-dslrs-by-2025

    And for keeping up with the latest discussions / rumors / finds, or just chatting about hopes & dreams for the thing:

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightrumors/

    ReplyDelete